The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates is seeking a fulltime Senior Finance and Contract Manager (FCM) to be based in our Rockville office, to serve in a leadership role on a newly awarded USAID-funded bilateral contract for a large-scale integrated health service delivery program in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This $314 million, seven-year project will transform the way health care is delivered in the DRC from introducing innovations like using drones to get essential medicines to conflict-affected areas, to using digital data dashboards to improve decisions about how health services are managed, to providing truly integrated service delivery in a gender and conflict sensitive way. DRC-IHP will be implemented in nine provinces, which are grouped into three regions — Eastern Congo, Kasai, and Katanga and in partnership with one Congolese and six international organizations. The Senior FCM will work closely with the in-country Director of Finance and Administration as well as interface with sub-contractors to bring strong financial and contractual compliance to all aspects of the project. S/he will play a pivitol role in the success of the DRC-IHP, ensuring that not only that day-to-day operations are sound, but also work with the Portfolio Manager and Regional Managing Director on big picture strategic thinking, ongoing financial and operational analyses, risk mitigation and, importantly, managing to budget and plan.
The Senior Finance and Contracts Manager will supervise the home office-based FCM and provide significant support, coaching and oversight to the Kinshasa-based Director of Finance & Administration. USAID contract management expertise is required, as is business-level proficiency (FS2+) in spoken and written French. This position is based in Abt’s International Development Division and supervised by the Rockville-based Portfolio Manager. Depending on the profile of the incumbent, s/he may also be called upon to provide leadership to regional and division initiatives.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
* Financial Reporting: Create and update monthly Oracle reports; create, maintain and analyze reports to track budget and funding, including direct labor. Provide FCM with financial data measurements of financial performance. Provide Portfolio Manager with backlog and revenue projections. Prepare monthly progress reports for client as required in contract.
* Financial Management and Administration: Approve expense reports from employees and subcontractors, approve purchase requisitions and vendor/subcontractor invoices. Review invoices and provide funding detail. Ensure that tracking tools are up to date and contain all correct rates and salaries. Ensure technical project employees receive and understand all financial information such as accruals and expenditures.
* Budgeting and Revenue Planning: Develop revenue plans for new projects and advise on plan revisions for existing projects; provide status, such as budgets and projected expenditure, information to project team leads. Assist in field office budget development.
* Risk Analysis: Conduct risk analysis; initiate improvements; review non pricing risk factors, such as conflict of interest, and develop solutions. Prepare financial data for contract reviews.
* Project Tracking: Track submission of contract deliverables, following a quality assurance process
* Contract Administration: Prepare consultant agreements, ensure all backup information is according to Abt and client’s standards. Identify tasks and activities that require client’s approval. Monitor implementation of subcontracts and prepare modifications if necessary, in collaboration with Contract Ops.
* Contract Review: Review and negotiate terms and conditions with vendors and other suppliers. Create complex modifications to subcontracts and work with contract operations as required. Draft and submit specialized contract correspondence to clients on various contractual issues that arise during performance; negotiate on outstanding contract issues. Review special contract clauses. Works with contract ops if necessary, to create new and modifications to subcontracts and to resolve any outstanding issue.
* Contract Procedures: Define contract management procedures; inform and train Abt employees and contractors on contractual procedures.
* Compliance: Ensure compliance to contract / subcontract requirements. Train field and home office based Abt and subcontractor employees on compliance
* Site Office Support and Coordination: Support new site start up by providing guidance on administration policies and procedures, including human resources and recruiting, procurement, country and project registration,
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
* Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or equivalent
* Fifteen years relevant experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
* Demonstrated successful USAID contract management experience of awards of >$30 million
* Thorough understanding of USAID contract procedures, regulations, and policies
* Willingness to travel to DRC at least once a year, including traveling to implementation sites outside of the capital
* Prior experience living or working in Africa would present a distinct advantage
* French language proficiency (FS2+) required
* BA/BS Degree with 12 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.