Manager of Sales and Use Tax - Woburn, MA
The Sales and Use Tax Manager will serve as a key member of the Sales and Use Tax Team, responsible for overseeing the sales and use tax compliance function. The incumbent will be accountable for all aspects of the compliance process, including the review and analysis of accruals, management and oversight of the third-party compliance service team, identifying and implementing process improvements and developing efficiencies. The Sales and Use Tax Manager will also assist in the development, training, and mentoring of staff on all assignments.
- Oversee all aspects of the tax compliance process including the filing of over 16,000 returns annually in approx. 250 jurisdictions, while establishing new systems of reporting.
- Manage relationship with third party compliance service provider, overseeing process and co-source team
- Oversight of third-party service provider assisting with compliance payment process
- Perform monthly reconciliation of key general ledger accounts including Sales and Use Tax accounts.
- Recommend and implement process improvements to maximize efficiency in tax compliance reporting and operations.
- Identify tax issues and opportunities and recommend timely action.
- Act as liaison between tax and accounting departments by establishing and communicating policies and procedures and maintaining open active lines of communication.
- Remain current on changes to tax regulations and processes and partner with teams to ensure overall compliance with tax and reporting requirements.
- Responsible for maintaining taxability matrix for company s various products and services in appropriate taxing jurisdictions.
- Perform tax research and draft memorandums on various sales tax issues.
- Provide technical advice to the business on sales taxation of the company s products and services offered in the US.
- Manage relationship with Service provider hosting OneSource Indirect Tax Determination software.
- Manage sales tax audits.
Other duties as assigned
Manage Sales Tax Accountants
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of state and local tax principles.
- Strong relationship-development skills resulting in long term mutually beneficial client relationships.
- Self-motivated; able to work independently to complete tasks and respond to department requests and to collaborate with others to utilize their resources and knowledge to identify quality solutions.
- Strong organization, planning and project management skills; ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet business requirements and deadlines.
- Strong leadership skills; Ability to drive and motivate team to achieve results within the US Tower department.
- Ability to work in a time-sensitive and high volume environment.
- Ability to drive work independently toward the successful attainment of department goals and project completion dates, and as part of a team to leverage input and knowledge base of others to provide well rounded and thoughtful information and solutions.
- Ability to identify key contacts for follow up; excellent ability to communicate project and status updates to team and cross-functionally to ensure understanding.
- Good strategic and problem solving skills to effectively influence decision making in key negotiations.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum six years experience in Sales and Use Tax required
- Bachelor s degree in Accounting or Finance required
- Proficiency in OneSource (OITD) or equivalent tax software required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel required
- Previous supervisory experience required
Approximately 100% performed in climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions. Approximately 0-5% travel may be required in support of the position s responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands and fingers to feel and handle, reach with arms and hands, talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.
American Tower Corporation is committed to a policy of equal employment and will not discriminate against an applicant or associate based on his or her age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, color, creed, religion, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, physical or mental disability, handicap, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy or any other category protected under federal, state or local law, regulation or ordinance.