Strategy & Profitability Analyst/Senior Analyst
Wayfair is seeking an analytical, highly quantitative, and high energy individual to join the Strategy & Profitability team.
At its core, the Strategy & Profitability team is focused on steering growth strategy and business analytics across Wayfair’s various product verticals. This team leverages Wayfair’s dynamic pricing and product sorting capabilities to manage the delicate tradeoff between short and long term profitability, while working cross-functionally to affect selection, merchandising, operations, and traffic initiatives. Analysts leverage unique, proprietary, and massive datasets to answer thorny strategic questions that will guide long term go-to market strategy. Profit management requires both up front strategic planning and ongoing analysis of financial, customer, site performance, and competitive pricing data to proactively spot and root cause troubling trends in the business and identify potential growth opportunities. A constant flow of experimentation and analysis on consumer response provides a great testing ground for bold hypotheses and enables continuous improvement in Wayfair’s value offering to consumers. Strong candidates will be excited about thinking critically about business strategy, analyzing large sets of data, and collaborating with a cross-functional group of business partners on high-impact initiatives.
This team has a big appetite for bold ideas and a strong bias for action.
* Develop the growth strategy for an emerging category by working closely with cross functional teams to understand competitive dynamics and positioning, modeling sales and margin impact, outlining operational initiatives, and ultimately executing on the path to profitability
* Leverage tens of millions of daily competitor price crawls and hundreds of millions of rows of Wayfair transactional and site navigation data to re-define Wayfair’ measurement of price competitiveness so that it accounts for competitor importance by product type and geography
* Evaluate the ROI of a newly proposed Return Policy by measuring and comparing short term conversion rate changes, long term customer lifetime value implications, and the financial cost of potential increases in return volume
* Measure the opportunity cost of replacing high performing email content with a link to a strategic initiative. Does the upside justify the cost?
* Develop a framework for intelligently selling through aged inventory by leveraging many available levers (price, exposure on the website, inclusion in planned promotions) and accounting for various inputs in profitability
Ideal Qualities and Experience:
* Structured and logical thinker with an affinity for data
* Strong quantitative skills ability to develop analytical methodologies and assumptions, use data software to conduct the analyses, and synthesize findings
* Strong business acumen ability to understand how various parts of the business interact, and can identify and approach problems from a customer perspective
* Strong communication skills ability to succinctly summarize and share results with key stakeholders
* Ability to learn and act quickly, make decisions and draw conclusions in the face of ambiguity
* Intellectually curious, high energy, with a strong work ethic and a desire to work in a fast-paced, high stakes team environment
* Technical in nature; Advanced Excel skills and prior experience or an interest in learning SQL
* Experience with Python, R, Stata, or other programming languages and statistical software are welcome but not required
* Bachelor’s degree from top-tier institution with a distinguished academic record, ideally in a quantitative field (math, economics, statistics, physics, engineering, etc.)
* 0-5 years of work experience in an analytical, consulting, technology startup, and/or client-facing role
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, d cor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
* Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
* Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
* AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
* Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home d cor
* Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home d cor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.
Associated topics: commission, consultant, economics, economy asset, financial, financial analyst, insurer, investment, real estate, valuation